Thursday, January 21, 2010

How to begin improvising on the guitar

"It's quite a mystery, this thing on how to solo all over the place on the guitar like Satriani or Santana. You either can do it or you can't."

The above statement is what some selfish insecure guitarists want you to believe.

When I first started playing the guitar, I wanted to learn how to improvise on the guitar. I met this guy at a gathering who was a good blues/rock player, ripping off solos after solos. I asked for some tips on how he did that.

His reply was,"I don't know, I just know how to do it. You just try and it comes out." Incredible bullshit response! I would much appreciate it if he just told me he doesn't want to teach me.

Anyway,here's my take. Guitar soloing/improvisation can be systematically taught. Good guitar teachers can do that. Berklee Music College and MIT in the States have a system to teach improvisation.

Alright, enough talk. Here goes:

1) Choose a simple tune, maybe a short phrase of "Twinkle twinkle little star". Play the melody on the first string of the guitar. (By a trial and error process, use your ear to find the tune, you will get it somehow). But play only on the first string.

2) After you nailed the tune on the first string, try to play the tune only on the first and second string (something like 50% of the notes of the tune on first string and 50% on the second string, trial and error process)

3) After a few weeks of struggling, try playing the tune on the first, second and third strings of the guitar.

After you get bored with that tune, try phrases of other short tunes. This exercise is serious ear training. That's how many old school rock/jazz guitarists learn to solo.

Have fun and be patient with yourself! Ciao for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment